This Wednesday, 10 December 2008, human rights activists all over the world will be celebrating the 60th anniversary of the signing of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
10 December is the UN's official International Human Rights Day.
10 December is also the day that Ray Sandford is scheduled to receive his 35th involuntary outpatient electroshock.
Unless action is taken swiftly, then this Wednesday morning, as he has been for most mornings in the last few months, Ray will be awakened early by staff in his room at the group residence VictoryHouse near Minneapolis.
Once more an escort will bring him against his will the 15 miles to Mercy Hospital, where once more -- under court order -- doctors will place electrodes on his head for another electroconvulsive therapy(ECT), or electroshock, that can and has wiped out precious memories and cognitive abilities from Ray.
The Good News About Ray Campaign:
Because of MindFreedom's campaign to support Ray Sandford:
* The Minnesota Governor's office reports receiving "hundreds" of complaints. Thank you everyone!
* Three agencies are now working to replace Ray's non-responsive court-appointed attorney with a new attorney.
* National media has finally interviewed Ray for an upcoming broadcast.
The Bad News: It is Not Enough! Speak Out Now!
** ACTION ** ACTION ** ACTION **
It is time to take the Ray Campaign up a notch, peacefully but strongly!
Let this become a top issue in the Governor's office.
Telephone Governor Pawlenty's office *NOW*:
Call any day, but especially call *before* Ray's scheduledelectroshock next Wednesday, 10 December 2008.
Call from anywhere in the world phone (651) 296-3391.
From inside Minnesota phone toll free (800) 657-3717.
You have the best chance of reaching staff from 8:00 am to 4:30 pmCentral Time weekdays.
WHY WON'T GOVERNOR PAWLENTY REPLY? Find out! Ask!
Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty has completely stone-walled!
* His office refuses to issue any statement on the policy of forcedelectroshock.
* He claims he can do nothing, that the courts are in charge, when hecould at least make sure Ray gets better legal representation for a stay or appeal.
* His office operators have been instructed to immediately redirect calls about Ray into a voice mail. No one we know of has ever heardback. Some operators have hung up on callers.
* Meanwhile, the Governor is sponsoring a $200-a-head luxury hotelconference about International Human Rights Day!
It is time to get creative!
* Ray will not give up!
* We will not give up!
* Don't you give up!
Please be peaceful, but be CREATIVELY MALADJUSTED in your next phone calls to Governor Pawlenty's office.
First, get the name of the operator and write it down. Then start by asking polite but firm questions about advocacy...
* about citizen input...
* about who to talk to about mental health policy...
* about the names and phone numbers of the Ombudsman office
* about mental health policy and the mental health division...
* about how poor people can have adequate legal representation...
And only then ask about why the Governor is refusing to speak outabout Involuntary Outpatient Electroshock (IOE)?
Insist on speaking to a live real person about this issue.
If you do not get a real person with a real reply, CALL BACK.
If an operator hangs up on you, call back and ask to speak to a manager and complain.