Monday, June 28, 2010

Western State Hospital and DSHS - More inhumanity and the denial of basic human rights

Western State Hospital and Washington DSHS - more inhumanity and denial of basic human rights

mindfreedom has brought this horrible and inhumane situation to my attention that is happening at this very moment in Washington State. I urge each of you reading this post to take action by calling Western State Hospital, and writing to the Governor and Attorney Generals office in Washington State demanding humanitarian action.

E-MAIL Washington State Governor Gregoire :

Jess C. Jeamieson, PhD is CEO of Western State Hospital in the  State of Washington
CEO of Western State Hospital Jess Jamieson 253-756-2525

A Call to Action

Free Emily from Western State Hospital, and Reopen Court Case from Year 2001!

by Cindi Fisher on behalf of the Darguzhyte family:

Hello Friends around the World:

Eita Darhguzene needs your help to free her daughter, Emily Darguzhyte and to prove her daughter’s innocence in a 2001 kangaroo court case.


Please call and request that Emily be given her freedom and returned to her family immediately. She has been involuntarily confined and drugged for over nine months and now the doctors are petitioning for an additional 180 days. They are using her false charge and conviction in 2001 as part of the support for their petition, and charging yet again that she is gravely disabled.

She goes to court 1 July 2010, but keep speaking out until she is free.

Please call the CEO of Western State Hospital, Jess Jamison 253-756-2525 and tell him to instruct the treatment team to withdraw their petition and give Emily her freedom.

Please E-mail Governor Gregoir and request that Emily be given her freedom and tell her to investigate and reopen the court case against Emily Dargughyte in 2001.

Click here:

More information:

Click here to read the details of the impulsive mistake made by court house guards and the cover up that followed, resulting in young Emily, then 19 years old, being illegally coerced into plea bargaining to gain her freedom, in a courtroom where no one else was present except Emily’s parents, after over 165 days of psychiatric drugging, jail and isolation from her family. No interpreter has ever present.

In this latest travesty of justice, Emily, now 28, was sentenced first to a 90 day involuntary commitment with court-ordered forced drugging and then manipulated into signing an additional 180 day confinement to Western State Hospital. She was committed as gravely disabled because she refused to talk to the hospital emergency room staff and because she was determined to give a urine sample as she was asked to do.

Emily's speaks English, but her native language is Lithuanian and Lithuanian is the only language spoken at home. An interpreter was never present.

Almost 300 days ago, Emily went to the local emergency room for dysmenorrhea, a form of severe menstrual cramps. Her chart stated she had been hospitalized before at Western State Hospital, so instead of treating her dysmenorrhea in the regular emergency room she had first been placed in, they transported her to the part of the hospital reserved for those with mental illness.

Having been misunderstood and unjustly committed from this behavioral health room before, she refused to respond to their questions and kept silent until her mother arrived. She then conversed quite fluently in Lithuanian with her mother.

Misunderstanding About Urine Sample Escalates

When asked for a urine sample she sat on the commode for a half hour, trying to overcome the effects of prior medication which causes difficulty in urinating. The staff became impatient after waiting a half hour for the sample and demanded she get off the commode.

Her mother, knowing Emily's difficulty, had left the room to give Emily privacy and time. When her mother returned; she was shocked and horrified to see Emily face down on the floor with her hands handcuffed behind her back. When Emily had refused to move, the staff did not attempt to locate Emily's mother, but became impatient and instead sought the assistance of security to have her forcefully removed from the commode.

Given such cruel, embarrassing, and humiliating treatment, Emily refused to talk to the County mental health male practitioner, who had been called by the nursing staff.

For this silence... and for her determined effort to overcome a medication side effect... she lost her freedom and her health. The DMHP pronounced Emily gravely disabled, despite Emily's mother explanation that her daughter was socializing with friends and family, and caring for herself, just prior to the onset of the severe menstrual cramps; not at all gravely disabled. And 300 days later, she is now suffering physically and emotionally from the high doses of medication and their terrible side effects; and extreme isolation from her mother and family since she was involuntarily committed!

Recently, after being denied her second outing outside in 270 days with her mother, Emily, in despair, fell on the floor and cried out "I am nothing..I am nothing."

Emily and her family speak Lithuanian at home and never once was an interpreter present for any of the proceedings or events during this almost 300 day ordeal. This in itself was/is a travesty of justice, but extremely so, when after a 90 day confinement of mandated drugging, Emily was manipulated into signing up for an additional 180 days when her mother was not present.

And now Emily is very silent and talks very little with the staff and they want to use this as well, as evidence of "gravely disabled", and imprison Emily for another 180 days. They even site her 2001 charge, even though it was reduced to a coerced plea bargain, as support for this continued violation of Emily’s human rights and due process of law.

If the treatment team does not withdraw the petition, we have requested a hearing (July 1, 2010) and will have Dr. Toby Watson, director of the International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology as an expert witness by telephone. But the reality is that the staff should withdraw the petition and release Emily immediately! Although they recently changed members of the treatment team, the two main petitioners were Dr. Longawa, psychiatrist, and Anneliese Simons, social worker.

Easy Actions You Can Take

Please use the web site for the Governor of Washington to complain, and show there is international attention.

Click here:

[Sample message, your own words are best:]

Dear Governor Christine Gregoir:

Please investigate reports on the Internet of the forced psychiatric drugging, and unfair institutionalization, of 28-year-old Emily Darguzhyte. Please provide translation services in her native language, Lithuanian. Also please investigate and reopen Emily’s 2001 court case where she was coerced to plea bargain for her freedom in a private courtroom setting with no interpreter ever being present.

If you can do more...

Please contact the CEO of Western State Hospital, Jess Jamieson (photo on right).

Ph: 253-756-2525.


Ask him to instruct the treatment team to withdraw the petition and release Emily to her family!


My take on this situation @ this time, considering that I have limited knowledge and corresponding details related to this individual case:

I have written about and personally witnessed the inhumane and atrocious treatment patients receive from the Washington State Mental Health System and Western State Hospital before. How many innocent victims have to suffer the torture and indignity allowed in our State Mental Institutions and state funded facilities before we the people say it must STOP NOW?

Washington State DSHS - Western State Hospital - The love that can bring down old stone walls -Lindsay's

Washington State DSHS - Western State Hospital - Lindsay's Journey Part 2 - Making Your Voice Heard

The Failure we all pay for - Western State Hospital and Washington State DSHS

Washington State DSHS - Western State Hospital - A Shoeless Joe Jackson Story in Western's Field of Dreams

The following plea for help is taken directly from the Mother's Blog:


Mother Fights to Prove Daughter Innocent! Please Email the Governor

E-MAIL Washington State Governor Gregoir : h

Tell her that Emily’s Darguzhytes, arrest and court case in 2001 in Clark County was a gross travesty of Justice and the case should be reopened.

Emily continues to suffer from that treatment and the criminal record she does not deserve. She was dismissed from a volunteer CPR instructor position after a background check, she has been barred from visiting Canada where she went often to visit her aunt, and the charge of kidnapping which were reduced to a forced plea bargain of unlawful imprisonment is being used as support in the petition to further imprison her at the hospital. She has Court on July 1, 2010.

Call the CEO of Western State Hospital today Jess Jamieson 253-756-2525 and tell him to have Emily’s treatment team withdraw their petition to keep Emily another 180 days.

By Eita Darguzhene (Mother of Emanuele Darguzhyte) email:

Our family; my husband, our 13year old daughter Raminta, our 10 year old daughter Emanuele ( nickname Emily), and myself, Eita Darguzhene, immigrated to the USA as Refugees from Lithuania in the former USSR on October 25, 1991. We endured decades of communistic regime and persecution from the KGB and State atheism. In 1996 we became American Citizens and we expected to find in America, the land of the free; democracy, justice, peace, truth, protection of human rights and respite from unruly totalitarian regime of USSR.

Below is the tragic story of our daughter Emily, who, due to a false arrest at age 19, has endured gross human rights violation including being unjustly institutionalized, restrained and forced drug with extremely debilitating, mind altering drugs at Western State Mental Hospital (WSH) in Washington, imprisoned in a local jail, and her rights of due process of law trampled in America. Her case needs to be retried with due process of Law.

In addition, presently, that false conviction and the “mentally ill” label has been used unjustly to once again institutionalize Emily at Western State Hospital and force drug her. She has been there for almost 300 days and they are petitioning to confine her an additional 180 days. Today, we need your Help to Free Emily!!!

1) to free Emily, 28, from her present forced confinement and drugging at Western State Hospital;

Call the CEO of Western State Hospital today Jess Jamison 253-756-2525 and tell him to have Emily’s treatment team withdraw their petition to keep Emily another 180 days. She has Court on July 1, 2010. Read her story below

2) to have Emily’s court case from 2001 reopened,

EMAIL Governor Gregoire and tell her that Emily’s Darguzhytes, arrest and court case in 2001 in the Clark County was a gross travesty of Justice and the case should be reopened.

That case involved a false arrest, charge, cover up and unjust conviction by the criminal justice and hospital authorities.

Emanuele seems to speak good English, however she has limited English proficiency, and we speak only Lithuanian in our home. The services of a certified interpreter has never been ordered, even once, during any part of the legal proceedings or forced treatment Emily has been force to endure during this entire horrendous nightmare.

You have read about the details of her present intolerable condition on website and now here are the details of her false charge and conviction of “illegal imprisonment in 2001."

WE NEED YOUR HELP TODAY!!! Please call and email now!

Coming to America: A Nightmare Story for a Young Lithuanian Woman

by Cindi Fisher

Court Guard Acted Impulsively and Refused to Communicate with Eye Witness Parent

In 2001, Emily’s mother and father accompanied her to court for a minor probation violation, of which neither her parents or Emily had understood. While at court, waiting for her hearing, Emily was accused of attempting to kidnap an 8 year old girl from the restroom in the courthouse. The following is a brief description of what actually happened:

During the court recess Eita left the courtroom and stood in the hallway directly outside the courtroom, hoping to speak to Emily’s lawyer to understand the violation; meanwhile Emily went to use the restroom. Eita was standing in the hallway in direct site of the restroom door, not more than 15 feet away. A few minutes later, Eita watched Emily exit the bathroom holding a young girl by her waist, facing outward, and set her down on the floor in front of two women, one of whom, seemed to be the mother. After Emily set her down, Eita and Emily were both shocked when one of the women started screaming “what are your doing with my child?” Emily had no idea why the woman was screaming, (having only the pure intention of helping the little girl open the door, as the little girl had requested of Emily,). Emily didn’t respond to the mother’s screaming and walked back down the hall, past Eita, into the courtroom, and sat back down beside her dad. Eita joined them, with Emily seated between them. Within a few minutes Emily was summoned from her courtroom seat between her parents, by courthouse guards, who then forcefully removed her from the courtroom; her parents immediately followed, shocked and confused; no explanation was given to them whatsoever and the guards refused to listen or communicate in any way with them. Before they were allowed to see or talk to Emily or the guards, the guards handcuffed, booked and unlawfully imprisoned Emily in the Clark County Jail with the charge of kidnapping. We know that the details of the kidnapping would never hold up in court. According to the court record, Emily picked up the 8 year old girl carrying her under the armpits, allegedly fondling her breast; then the girl supposedly began kicking and screaming,; Emily managed to continue holding her by the armpits, yet covered her mouth with one hand and made the girl reach out and open the door. Meanwhile, directly outside the door, the mother and grandmother were waiting and apparently although hearing the so called screaming, did nothing, but according to their testimony to the guard, screamed at Emily "what are you doing?when she exited the door "with their girl". This is the part where Emily had no idea why they screamed at her and just went and sat down in the courtroom between her parents. The headliner local newspaper article the next day either purposely distorted or was given false information; the article said Emily allegedly attempted to kidnap the child from the bathroom, fondled her breast, silenced her screaming, but when she was confronted by the women outside the court she immediately released the child and tried to “mingle in a courtroom audience where the court guards found her…Nowhere in the story did it mention that she was there WITH HER PARENTS for a COURT HEARING and that her mother was an eye witness; no reporter ever attempted to interview the parents before writing the article and no interpreter was ever ordered or present. Another important fact was that one of the women who made the charges was scheduled for a felony jury trial that day on April 24,2001.

Impulsive Arrest Followed by Extreme Cover up Measures

Thus within a matter of minutes this vibrant, young 19 year old woman went from being accompanied by her parents in the U.S. courtroom of Justice to being isolated, fingerprinted, booked on a kidnapping felony charge, and locked up as an inmate in the Clark County Jail. Her cry of innocence and her parents plea of her innocence fell on deaf ears. To add insult to injury, at the arraignment the next day, Emily, frightened, confused, and shocked, was brought to court, with hands and feet shackled wearing an orange jumpsuit, designating "especially dangerous" , and was ordered to be evaluated for competency to stand trial… no interpreter was present and the parents were not allowed any input. And from that moment, the trail of unjust and unfair proceedings continued to build exponentially. Emily was certainly competent to stand trial and should have been given bail, and at the very least a court ordered interpreter should have been present; there was no prior history of a serious criminal record; there were an eye witness that seriously placed doubt on the validity of the charge and she had been at court with her parents.

It is the writer’s opinion that once the authorities realized the seriousness of their error, that could easily be proven in court, a plan was needed to avoid bringing their impulsive, illegal actions to light. Pronouncing Emily incompetent to stand trial and failure to secure the services of an interpreter set the stage for extreme and harmful cover up measures to be taken.

Normally, from the time a judge request the first competency evaluation until the point where a 90 day restoration to competency is ordered, there is usually a time lapse ranging from 2 months minimum up to 4 months and it is not rare for as much as 6 months to lapse.

In Emily’s case

1) this process was rushed through, in LESS THAN TWENY FOURS HOURS,

up to and INCLUDING a court order signed by the judge for a


(The usual 14 day non-medicated evaluation and the additional “up to”14 day forced medicated treatment were completely omitted --”

3) WITHIN 24 hours of her “kangaroo” court arraignment, where she was denied bail, Emily was transported to WSH --it is the authors opinion that there surely were others in jail with equally or more serious charges still awaiting evaluation and transport orders.

4) at Western State Hospital, in LESS THAN 24 hours, Emily was “evaluated as gravely disabled and a danger to others, based on the charges that were not proven;” the report requesting competency restoration for “up to 90 day confinement with permission to force medicate” was written and faxed to the court; the court received the report; signed and faxed the order back to the hospital; and the 90 day forced treatment with mind altering neuroleptic drugs began--All this IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS)

No interpreter; no bail; no input sought or allowed from pleading eyewitness parent……

Why was Emily’s case given such top priority rush???

Emily maintained she was innocent throughout the 6 months of being subjected to horrific human rights violations, and being forced over and over again to repeat the crime she had been charged with but had not committed, and the possible sentence. She continually begged to be given a polygraph test. When she was returned to jail, 90 days later, she and her parents immediately instructed their second hired attorney to request a jury trial. Emily's first attorney refused to seek a jury trial and brought her to court to plead guilty to a plea bargain; but she refused. Her parents hired a second attorney, who was instructed to seek a jury trial to prove her innocence. Both of her attorneys violated her legal rights by informing her that if she did not accept a plea bargain to a lesser charge of unlawful imprisonment, she would be returned to Western State hospital for further “treatment.” When her trial date was eventually set, it was at almost 90 days from the time she was returned to jail “competent to stand trial.” Finally, after being kept in jail 75 days without bail, after her forced 90 day psychiatric drugging and hospital confinement, with what felt like no hope of release, she was brought into a private courtroom where no other people were present accept her parents and she agreed to plea bargain to unlawful imprisonment .

E-MAIL Washington State Governor Gregoir :

Tell her that Emily’s Darguzhytes, arrest and court case in 2001 in Clark County was a gross travesty of Justice and the case should be reopened. *



Rogi said...

Your first posting of the governor's contact URL is incorrect. It is:

Rogi said...

I need to know from where you got your detailed information about Emily's case, particularly the urine test and the plea bargain. I need the information I'm passing on to others to be as accurate as possible, so we keep high credibility. Thanks.

Stan said...

Dear Rogi

I received the information from the mindfreedom site, and cannot verify it's complete accuracy. The family email address and mindfreedom site are included in this post. I'm sure you can contact them directly to obtain and verify any pertinent information you may need or ask questions regarding the details of this particular.

Having personally witnessed the lack of professional care, how families are treated with disrespect and dismissed within this process, and the criminalization of mental health individuals through a counter productive and inhumane forced drugging modality; I'm can validate one aspect of this situation.

That being the lack of effective legal representation and due process, and so called Psychiatric Doctor's at Western State Institution assuming ownership of vulnerable persons life to an end which most often results with great detriment and outcome for the individuals.

The unfortunate reality is that this is just one case in literally thousands where the sub-courts and government funded institutions circumvent the human and legal rights of those they deem mentally unhygienic.

I have corrected the link to the governor's office in this post.

Thank you for stopping in and for your interest in this situation

Stan said...

I have written some emails, and I hope to gain further information and details related to this current situation involving Emily.

Stan said...

I have know idea why the huge corporate spies are interested in this topic, but they are here keeping a watchful "V" on this blog.

Host Name
IP Address [Label IP Address]
Country United States
Region Missouri
City Saint Louis
ISP V-fluence - - N Boyle - Static

Stephany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stan said...

Maybe we are not digging deep enough if the corporate "assassination crew" is interested?

State Institution - tax dollars - forced drugging - doctors - fraud - Astrazeneca - Seroquel ....So many questions?????

Borepatch said...

This makes me ashamed of my government. They left the corrupt mental health gulag for this?

Tar and feathers.

Anonymous said...

Another way to handle this is to find out who the governors opposing forces are. Send this info to them so they can start setting the stage to demolish her image.

Stan said...

Dear Anon:

This issue has been a political football for far to long. As we can see in real human results and tragic consequences that this fiasco will most likely only be brought out into the light of day, and begin to move toward reasonable resolutions by an empowered public oversight of truly independent patient advocacy monitoring entities that do not have any financial or political stake in the game so to speak.

(you just have to follow the money to see that both power parties are going to similar/same corporate water trough to drink)

If fact the politics are very much at the root of this problem. The good old boys and girls club that are standing behind a long history of institutionalized money grabs and citizen abuse continue to sit on their hands spouting off pacifying sound bites as the nasty and torrid institution business continues along as usual.

It would be refreshing and come as a great surprise to see the Republic Attorney General in Washington State step to the plate and open up this huge can of nasty worms here.

But I won't be holding my breath. I'm just trying to put my fingering in a gushing dam here one person at a time.

I have watched as the Attorney Generals office repeatedly intervened to get WSH to do a simple name spelling correction for a patient. That incident took over four months of constant wrangling, and a ominous circling of the WSH circus clowns before it was finally resolved.

If that is how "they" handle a relatively small and simple issue, how do you think they will do at handling issues involving much more complexity and serious life consequences for patients?

I know, call me a skeptic

Stan said...

Makes one have to wonder who's best interest they are advocating for?

FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted (C) material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available for educational purposes, to advance understanding of human rights, democracy, scientific, moral, ethical, and social justice issues, etc. It is believed that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 of the US Copyright Law. This material is distributed without profit.

Terms and conditions on the use of the contents of the “Is Something Not Quite Right with Stan - A Mental Health Blog” site are for informational and entertainment purposes only. Stan does not represent or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, timeliness or reliability of the information or content (collectively, the "Materials") contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from this website.

Stan encourages you to make your own health care and legal decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care and/ or legal professional. The information posted here should not be considered medical advice and is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional if they exist. I do not answer specific medical questions.

Third party information is gathered from sources that Stan believes to be reliable. However, in no event shall Stan, or any third parties mentioned on this site be liable for any damages resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the content whether or not Stan is advised of the possibility of such damages.

Stan reserves the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to make improvements to, or correct any error or omissions in any portion of the displayed materials.

You hereby acknowledge that any reliance upon any Materials shall be at your sole risk.

Disclaimer of Liability

The user assumes all responsibility and risk for the use of this web site and the Internet generally. Under no circumstances, including negligence, shall anyone involved in creating or maintaining this web site, or shall the website writer or any commenter’s be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, or lost profits that result from the use or inability to use the web site and/or any other web sites which are linked to this site.

Nor shall they be liable for any such damages including, but not limited to, reliance by a visitor on any information obtained via the web site; or that result from mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion of files, viruses, errors, defects, or any failure of performance, communications failure, theft, destruction or unauthorized access.


In states which do not allow some or all of the above limitations of liability, liability shall be limited to the greatest extent allowed by law.

Disclaimer of Endorsement - Reference to any products, services, hypertext link to the third parties or other information by trade name, trademark, supplier or otherwise does not constitute or imply its endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation by me. Nor is an endorsement by me is implied by such links. They are for convenience only, as an index in a public library.

Information Subject to Change - Any information on this web site may be removed without notice. Information may include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Furthermore, the information may change from time to time without any notice.

GENERAL INFORMATION - The information contained in this online site is presented and intended to provide a broad understanding and knowledge critical to psychiatric practices and humorous social interaction. The information should not be considered complete and should not be used in place of communication and consultation.


This site is not a monologue of truth. It is a catalyst for public debate about medical conduct and for entertainment purposes. The reader is urged to confront officials to clarify issues mentioned herein. This site is designed strictly to provide information for critical, literary, academic, entertainment, and public usage. A qualified and trustworthy medical professional must be consulted regarding medical issues, treatments, diagnoses, etc.; if they exist in all actuality or truth.